Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Composting



As strange as it may sound, I am passionate about making compost. If I had the money I would probably have already tried one of every type of composting system on the market, but I don't, so for now I must make do with my current bin composter.

It's a very low budget composting system that even the least handy handyman can make. I bought two Rubbermaid bins for $4 each and drilled holes (well, I had my hubby drill the holes, but it looked pretty easy), in the upper portion and the lid for aeration, and also in the bottom for drainage. The holes keep the compost aerobic so it will break down faster...and be less smelly.

I collect kitchen scraps daily in a container and then empty them into the composter every few days. I also add lots of shredded paper (junk mail) into the compost to help absorb excess moisture. Garden waste can be used also but you have to be careful about putting weeds in the compost. You don't want to spread weeds throughout your garden when it's time to use your compost! After I've filled one Rubbermaid container I'll let it sit while I fill up the second one. After about 3 months, I have beautiful, dark, compost or "black gold" to mulch my plants with.

Think of the amount of waste that could be reduced in our landfills if everyone made their own compost! You may think, what's the big deal, it's food - it's biodegradable. This is true, but what most people don't take into consideration is that most landfills are completely contained to keep any toxic substances from seeping into the earth and contaminating water supplies. So the food just sits there...in plastic bags...taking up space. Plus, what good will that compost be if it's sitting in a landfill?

If you are interested in composting, here are several links to feed your curiosity.
Composting in General
Bin Composting
Worm Composting
Nature Mill's automatic composter
Sheet composting
Composters

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Great post Melanie! Although I'm waiting for the picture of Ashley stirring it up!